Sunday, February 6, 2011

The King Stetson Story

In May 2008, I was volunteering with Cocker Companions Rescue, and was mainly helping at events and transporting dogs. We were scheduled out at Maryville on a Sunday afternoon, and I was going to meet two of our newest fosters. The day was gorgeous, and there was a great crowd! By the time I got out of church and over to Maryville (Murville for you natives) it was about 1 o'clock. When I got there, Karen and the crew were there already, setting up and settling in our fuzzies. I walked up, and saw the most gorgeous bundle of black and white Cocker goodness that I'd ever laid eyes on. He was freshly groomed, bandana intact, and sitting in the large crate looking out as if to say "Take me home. I am too good to be on display this way." The King has this trademark, hangdog stare, and he was putting it on this day. Well, he had me at "Woof." I walked him, got him chipped and brought him back over. I said to Karen "You do realize I'm in love with this dog." Evil grin from fair rescue director, and she said, "He is a sexy beast." Meanwhile, a lady had seen the King on our website, and she was on her way to meet him. Glad he had a potential home, but kinda jealous as he was such a handsome mug.

At the end of that day, his potential had turned into a giant No, and Karen asked if I'd take him home and foster him, as he'd been living in boarding at the vet. Sure. No problem. Within 3 days, I called Karen and had her remove him from the adoptables list. He ran away with my heart, and has yet to return it. The big, goofy clown of a dog is one of my favorite things in life. He knows what buttons to push, and he pushes them well. He acquires new friends wherever we go, and he has the ability to make everyone fall in love with him. He is.....a lover. Some of you have asked about where he came from....so here goes.

My giant, silly, clown of a Cocker was a breeder's stud in a puppy mill. Karen got a call about the mill shutting down, and wanted to know if we'd take some of the dogs. My understanding is that Stetson was left 24/7 in a 4x4 run, and bred with a rape box. Makes him sound like he was not a nice boy, huh? He had hair covering his eyes, and was in a sad state. The groomer was actually able to save his coat, not shave him, which was a miracle. He likes his toys, and has a touch of source guardian in him, but we make sure he can't take possession of much of anything, and the fights are limited. Overall, he's a good boy, and I'm happy to say I think his life with me is better than any day at the mill.

I'm no stranger at our vet's office with this guy. He's had his belly x rayed for bleeding in the summer 08, as he ate something (who knows what) that he shouldn't have. In early 09, we went to the pet ER at 1030 at night when he acted like he couldn't walk, and was in great pain. I now own an xray of his lovely foot and leg....all over a pulled toe nail. I was hoping that would be the last of the "nonsense" but it was not to be.

In December, the King and his sister Sadie got into over something, what exactly, I cannot remember, but she lunged and attacked. The face and nose are very vascular, and he bled for 2 hours. Into the Pet ER in North Charleston at 10pm with the boy. We escaped xrays, and even stitches this time. The vet there felt he'd need something for pain, but wanted to check his kidney function first. His was elevated, or not functioning appropriately, and she wanted us to follow up with our vet. We did start some antibiotics for the "dog bite". (Still makes me laugh that a dog got a dog bite.) And we called our vet the next day.

In the midst of the kidney problems, we also learned that Stetson had a low platelet count, down to about 2,000. Normal count for canines is 200-400,000. Holy Moses! I spoke to our vet at length about treatment and testing, and cost. I've got to say that anyone who thinks it's easy to be a pet parent in this day and time is crazy. After learning what just the testing was going to cost, I told Dr Graham that I just can't do it. I can't afford it. (I know I'm going to catch it here). He was in agreement. He said that we'll treat the platelets for now (clotting blood is more important at this point) and if and when I'm able, we'll delve into the kidney issues. I'm hoping and praying this was a fluke thing, maybe a virus or something that elevated those numbers, but I've got a feeling that it's more than that.

The King is not acting sick. He's the same old goofy, laundry stealing, food interested ball of black and white fluff that he always has been. He likes his naps, and he comes to my lap every night for cuddle time with Mom. If anyone else is there first, well, he just puts it in 4wd and knocks them out of the way. He is, after all, the King. And a hot mess.

I'm probably in over my head with 3 Cockers, but the thought of sending even one away sends chills down my spine. I'm convinced that they have a better life with me than they did previously, and while I know that all 3 could have gone to equally wonderful homes elsewhere......*sigh*....they are mine, and they are loved and cared for. And as I watch the 3 of them napping at the moment, I am content. I don't know what I'd do without them. They are my entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment